vrijdag 13 februari 2009

5.Finding RSS Feeds.

Having successfully opened a Netvibes account I've been fustrated to find the last couple of days that I have to repeatedly sign in to access it. Karin gave me a good tip today to place it in my favourites list.
I've also been struggling with step 5.Every day the pattern is the same. I sit down behind my computer and start to build up all the components I need to find the RSS feeds. First, I log on to gmail, then I log on to my blog, then I access the 23 things for all the instructions and then I open my netvibes. The bar is full, I'm hungry for information. I start to click on all Rob's links and then it happens again. The computer seizes up! I have to shut the computer down then start it up all over again or go hungry for another day.Today I did manage to look at Bloglines and searched in the Google Blogsearch under the term,'Google Generatie.'"Studenten die alles kunnen opzoeken op het internet maar niet meer over voldoende basisvaardigheden beschikken." Apparently this is a myth, according to a report by the British Library and University College London. There is an interesting article about this in the NRC Handelsblad. Interesting for me is a blog in English dealing with information science. You can view it here.
It was reassuring to read that, even amongst the Google generation,only a minority of people love Web 2.0 and are blogging or twittering or on Facebook every day. The majority will use it for specific purposes e.g accessing a blog about a topic in which they are interested and another minority (I thought this was funny) won't touch Web 2.0 with a bargepole!
In which category are you?

6 opmerkingen:

Els zei

Hello Caroline, interessant verhaal hierboven over de "struggle" met de feeds en ook om te lezen dat niet ieder enthousiast is over web 2.0. Wist ik niet dat er meer via Facebook geblogd en getwittered wordt als ik dit goed begrijp. Ik ga me later deze week verder bekwamen in het binnenhalen van leuke abonnementen en hoop dat dit lukt. Vervelend dat de computer weigert, echt om flink van te balen. Lukt het nu beter?

Karin zei

Hi Hero,
It's nice to be able to read a fellowblogger in English. I'm afraid my English is becoming a bit rusty nowadays. I have to admit that before I became coach (begeleider not the bus variation) for this course I definitely fit into the last category. The "philosophy" behind Web 2.0, the sharing of information and having "friends" all over the world is a bit to noble for cynical old me. What does appeal to me about Web 2.0 is that it is aiming to be userfriendly & trying to make the form fit the content, not the other way round. Is this making any sense at all ?
If you need any help with your RSS reeds try catching me at a quiet moment, perhaps we can sort something out?
Catch you l8ter

Caroline zei

Bedankt, Elsie en Karin voor jullie reacties op mijn site. I'd like to take you up on your offer,Karin to get together and look at the RSS feeds. I've been reading an article about the 23 Things, written by the originator in the School Library Journal, with tips on how to make it a success within an organisation.
'Working together' is something she stresses. I'm going to attempt to place a link here to that article, 'Ten Tips About 23 Things.' Bet you it doesn't work!
web site van schoollibraryjournal.

Elly zei

Hi Caroline,

Wat goed dat je je verslagen over Ding 4 en Ding 5 gemaakt hebt. Heel duidelijk.
Vanaf 23-02 gaan we weer verder met nieuwe Dingen. Veel succes.
En: ik wilde een reactie plaatsen bij je Get-clicky-artikel, maar de Gatcha-letters kwamen niet, dus het is mislukt. Ik hoop dat het nu wel lukt.

corrie dammers zei

Hello Caroline,

In het Engels iets toevoegen vind ik te moeilijk,dus in het Nederlands.Goed dat je weer begonnen bent met werken en drect maar ook aan het bloggen.

Caroline zei

Hello Corrie,

Wat mooi die sneeuwklokjes op jouw blog, een van mijn lievelingsbloemen. Ik schrijf mijn blog in het engels omdat dat beter gaat dan in het nederlands maar ik vind het fijn om reacties in het nederlands te krijgen. Ik heb net een beetje over Flickr gelezen. Ik ga nu even ontspannen en daarna jouw blog bekijken. Wat schrijven jullie allemaal interessante dingen over Kunst, reizen, muziek, oh, en niet te vergeten, boeken!

groetjes,
Caroline.